Home' Island Sun : ISN 072415 Contents 5
ISLAND SUN - JULY 24, 2015
‘Ding’ Days Photo
Contest Is Under Way
July marks the open-
ing of the 28th
Darling Days Amateur
Contest. The dead-
line for submission is
September 15. The
by the “Ding” Darling
of the Refuge (DDWS),
is held in conjunction
with “Ding” Darling
Days, running October
18 to 24.
For an entry form
and other contest
information, visit www.
photo-contests. Or con-
tact DDWS at sarah@
472-1100 ext. 233.
DDWS will announce
winners and award prizes
at Conservation Art Day
on Saturday, October 24
during “Ding” Darling
Entries may be deliv-
ered in person to the JN
“Ding” Darling NWR
or by mail to “Ding”
Darling Wildlife Society
(DDWS), One Wildlife
Drive, Sanibel, FL
33957 (Attention: Sarah
per person entry fee
that provides you with
a membership to the
Society and is used to
defray the cost of the contest. One fee covers two entries per person.
• Only amateur (all ages) photographers are eligible to enter (may not possess a
professional photographer tax identification number for the sale of photographs).
• Photos must be taken at the JN “Ding” Darling NWR and have been taken within
two years of entry date.
• Photos must be 8” x 10” (or full frame 8” x 12”) with an 11” x 14” mat. This
will facilitate display in the Visitor Center. (Please, no hangers on the backs of photo-
graphs.) Frames are not permitted. Please submit a digital copy on a CD/DVD/Flash
Drive. Each photo must be at least 2MB. The two photo entries can be copied onto
the same CD/DVD/Flash Drive.
• Each person may enter up to two photos but is eligible to win only one award.
One $25 fee covers two entries per person.
• Photos that have won awards in previous “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society photo
contests may not be resubmitted.
• Judging will be anonymous. Please do not put your name or anything that will
identify you on your photograph.
• Judging criteria:
1) Technical excellence (sharpness, lighting, composition, exposure)
4) Ability to be reproduced for publication
• On digital photos, only limited image modifications are permitted. Minor manipu-
lation should be used only to produce a more natural looking photograph. Cropping is
allowed but adding any elements not existing in the original scene will not be allowed.
Judges, at their discretion, will disqualify any photos that appear to be manipulated
beyond these guidelines.
• All photos will become the property of DDWS and will not be returned. There is
no need to include a return envelope or postage. Photos may be used by DDWS in
any way with appropriate credit.
• First, second, and third place winners and honorable mentions will be formally
announced during the “Ding” Darling Day’s weeklong celebration held in October.
Cash prizes will be awarded.
• The refuge and Wildlife Society cannot be held responsible for loss or damage of
• There are three judges: A refuge staff person, a professional photographer, and a
member of the Sanibel community.
“Ding” Darling Days sponsors for 2015 include: Roseate Spoonbill Sponsors: Doc’s
Ford Sanibel Rum Bar & Grille; Great Egret Sponsors: George & Wendy’s Seafood
Grille; Great Blue Heron Sponsors: Arthur Printing, Bailey’s General Store, Mike
and Terry Baldwin, Bank of the Islands, Island Sun, Jensen’s on the Gulf and Marina
& Cottages, Jerry’s Foods, Mitchell’s Sand Castles & Forty/Fifteen Resorts, Sanibel
Captiva Community Bank, Sanibel Moorings, Spotlight Graphics, Jim and Patty
Sprankle, Sanibel-Captiva Beach Resorts; Reddish Egret Sponsors: Sarah Ashton and
Jim Metzler, Sanibel-Captiva Kiwanis Club, Stewart and Sons Insurance, Inc.; Snowy
Egret Sponsors: Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program (CHNEP), Grounds by
Green Ways, Over Easy Café, Sanibel Art & Frame, She Sells Sea Shells, Suncatchers’
Dream, Winston and Barbara Spurgeon.
To support DDWS and the refuge with a tax-deductible gift, visit www.dingdar-
lingsociety.org or contact Birgie Miller at 292-0566, 472-1100 ext. 4 or director@
Charles Woodrich’s prothonotary warbler took first place in
the 2014 “Ding” Darling Days Amateur Nature Photography
Links Archive ISN 073115 Navigation Previous Page Next Page